Wednesday September 17th 2014

Prairie point pinecone tree ornament – a free pattern

The amazing, quirky pine cone quilt Laura Fisher showed us in the December issue of TQL reminded me of a popular craft sale and church bazaar item from about 20 years ago. Do you remember those pine cone tree ornaments, constructed of layers and layers of little folded fabric triangles? I never bought one (“I can make that myself!”), but I never got around to making one, either.

So after admiring Laura’s antique quilt, and being a lot more familiar with a prairie point than I was 20 years ago, I armed myself with a glue gun and I decided to see what I could do. Those pinecone shaped ornaments I admired back in the day were built probably on a Styrofoam egg, but I had a 2 ½” Styrofoam ball on hand so I used it. And here it is! Click here to download the pattern PDF

This would be a great tag-team project, with one person pressing the prairie points and another gluing them to the ball.
We hope you have fun with this!

You can find more patterns from TQL and AQS at http://www.americanquilter.com/quilt_life/patterns.php

10 Comments for “Prairie point pinecone tree ornament – a free pattern”

• Justine Self says:

Thank you for this pattern, I’ve always thought these ornaments were so pretty. I plan to make one every year for each of my Grandchildren using fabric illustrating their interests of the time. What a fun thing for them to take to their first home and use on their tree.

• Niki says:

in my guild we used pins instead of a glue gun. less messy and fewer burned fingers.

• Sandy Skelton says:

These are beautiful made out of gold, silver or even tartan ribbon for Christmas. I also make these in pastel colours over polystyrene eggs for Easter. I also use sequin pins instead of glue.58CT

• Sharon Blake says:

Pairie point pine cone ornament. I cannot fine the tutorial. can you help me.

• Julie Roberts says:

Looking for the pattern for the prairie pinecone Looks like it was available for a time in 2012. Can I still get the PDF? Thank you

• Sylvia says:

Hi Julie. Yes, the pattern is still available. I’ll send a PDF to your email address. Hope you enjoy making these, I love them! Sylvia Thomas, AQS Office Administrator

• Sue Rogers says:

Fun to see this pattern again. Long, long ago in another life I taught craft classes for the Piece Goods fabric shop in Oak Ridge, Tenn and this was one of our holiday classes but we used ribbon and pins.