Monday July 28th 2014

Out with the old…

I have too much stuff. There’s been a lot more “in with the new” at my house lately.

For months, I’ve been toying with the idea of disposing of my old quilting magazines. I’m talking 20-or-more-year-old magazines. If I haven’t made the quilts in them by now, I never will. I haven’t looked at them for ages. Nobody else seems to want them, either. Boxes of the same magazines I have were donated to the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum’s garage sale earlier this month. And almost every one of those magazines had to be carted off to recycling at the end of the day.

If I care to look at comical pictures of quilters with frizzy perms and huge eyeglasses, I need look no further than my own photo albums. Besides, I need the space for my issues of The Quilt Life!

This morning, 1986 and 1987 went into the recycling bin at the curb.  I went for a walk, wondering if I’d made the right decision. These magazines are history, after all. Not just quilt history, but my personal history as well. Then I thought about one of the great tips from Carolyn Woods in her October TQL article about organizing the studio. “Clear out what no longer inspires you.” When I got home, the recycling hadn’t been picked up yet. Into the bin went 1988 and 1989. They’re history…Jan Magee, The Quilt Life

7 Comments for “Out with the old…”

• Francine A Stracuzzi-Warren says:

I stopped keeping any magazines at all- if I find a quilt or a technique I really like I keep that part & put them in acid free sleeves in binders. And now I’m even wondering If I want to keep that much as I don’t even seem to go back to them to make new projects. I seem to get something going & add as I go, multiples of blocks I see & like- so I don’t really need a pattern. hummmmmmmmmmmmm wondering how much more space I would have if I got rid of all those binders!

• carolyn says:

I have so many magazines, i cannot bring myself to throw them out. I think i still have the first b/w issue of quilters newletter. I have built a 8×10 storage shed and placed shelves all around, all the magazines are in sterilite boxes in the shed and it is so full i can barley get inside. i haven’t lookd at these magazines for years, yet i cannot bring myself to part with them. I think i need some serious help… my husband suggest i build a fire under the shed and burn the whole thing down. lol

• Joyce says:

I took all my old quilting magazines, tore out all the patterns I wanted to keep, pictures of quilts with great color combinations etc. and put them in clear plastic page protectors (you can put a whole pattern in one sleeve). I put all the pages in a large binder w/ dividers to separate the categories. About 100 magazines were reduced to 2 binders.

• rogquilter says:

i do the same as francine, started after moving to current home…my “house of cubicles”. i remove patterns and how-to’s etc & file them way. i do go back…look for ideas, or refresher course in a “how-to”…but when i go back thru i end up tossing some. figure if i don’t know it by now, used or made it by now….it goes. magazines that i buy or subscribe too, if nothing removed, i take them to thrift shops. so far they are still thanking me lol.

• McKenna says:

I do as the other ladies described by removing the patterns and quilts I find inspiring and putting them in a separate binder. The leftover magazines I bring to my quilt group for them to continue to ‘pick over the bones’. It works out well really. We all get something from the magazine that would otherwise be discarded because we all have different tastes in what kind of quilts we like to make. It’s my stab at recycling.

• Gena Rene Kelley says:

I donated ALL of my old quilt magazines to the library and the thrift store….just could not bear to send them to the garbage….
    what happens to them after — well at least I won’t know about it.