Wednesday September 3rd 2014

Find a Local Quilt Shop

Do you remember when you discovered your first quilt shop? Wasn’t it like walking into Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, only better? Remember exploring  bolts of fabrics,  quilting books, hoops, notions, patterns, and quilting magazines for the first time?

When I was a beginning quilter, I had no idea that there was any source of quilting supplies outside of my local discount store. Actually, I didn’t even know that most quilting supplies even existed. When I finally discovered my local quilt shop, my quilting universe exploded. Suddenly classes and education became part of my quilting experience.

In my heart of hearts, I know that I would never have become the quilter that I am today without the existence of  the  quilt shops that I have loved and visited.  Important as the supplies and fabrics were, the best part of the quilt shop experience were the friends I made. There’s nothing like the laughter, support and friendship of  the quilting communities that spring up in quilt shops.

AQS has compiled a list of quilt shops from all around the world. So, whether you are looking for a store near where you live or trying to find one on vacation, take a look to see what you can find. If you don’t see you favorite quilt shop on the list, go ahead and add it and share it with the rest of us.

Why have quilt shops been important to you? Do you have a favorite shop?

Suzan @AQS

10 Comments for “Find a Local Quilt Shop”

• sewsewbizzy says:

Sorry, but if databases aren’t kept current they are useless. The Artful Quilter hasn’t been in Centreville VA for at least 2 years and has since closed in Burke VA. Since many businesses may show up in databases, whether solicited or not – I think the owner of the database should be responsible to verify info at least annually!!

• Sylvia says:

Dear “sewsewbizzy”, The quilt shops listed on the AQS site are placed there by the shop owners not AQS staff. Once a shop is listed, it is up to the shop owner to let us know if they need to make changes to the entry or delete it altogether. Thank you for letting us know about The Artful Quilter. Sylvia Thomas, AQS Administrative Assistant

• Joyce Christianson says:

Here are some more – they all have websites.
    Near Denver, CO : Holly’s Quilt Cabin – Centennial, CO (southern suburb); The Creative Needle – Littleton, CO (south-western suburb); High Prairie Quilts – Parker, CO (southeastern suburb; Harriet’s Treadle Arts – Wheat Ridge, CO (north west suburb)
    In Tucson, AZ: Bella Quilt Works; The Quilt Market; Cactus Quilt Shop; The Quilt Basket
    I’ve visited them all within the last year – they’re great!

• Kathy DeSchuiteneer says:

In NH – Peterboro Basket Company is listed as a quilt shop. It is not. Not all shops in NH are listed here and like Peterboro Basket Company some are not quilt shops at all. I wouldn’t use this site to find shops. I would just use google

• Linda says:

Can’t find the list!!!!! The Highlighted stuff that you think would take you to it only take you to the article. I even searched it several ways without result:(

• VERA ZANON says:

Your’s world is only USA and Canada? What about the others countries like Brasil?

• Sylvia says:

Vera, Shop owners from any country, even Brazil, can enter their information on our site. We would love to see more international shops listed. Sylvia Thomas, AQS Administrative Assistant

• Lorna Jones says:

The quilt shops around Cookeville, TN are not listed. Do shop owners have to be members or pay a fee to belong?