Friday August 1st 2014

A project for a snowy day

It snowed again and I thought how nice it would be to just stay home – and to make something fun and seasonal (and not cookies!) without having to leave the house for supplies. One thing I have plenty of is buttons, and I bet you do, too. If you’re like me, you cannot let the most tattered garment go to the rag bag without first rescuing the buttons. And since my mother and her mother before her were that way, too, and I have their buttons…you get the picture.

So I invite you to grab that trusty glue gun, a Styrofoam ball (mine was 2 ½”), a decorative cord (this was one of those elastic ones that came on a gift box), a straight pin, and the button box.

Here are the instructions: Glue buttons on the ball. Can you really do this wrong? Most of my buttons went on flat, but some overlapped and some ended up on a second layer. Buttons with a shank were good for filling in the small spaces. I quit counting buttons around 100, and quit gluing after about half an hour.

Push the pin through the knot in the cord. I placed a drop of glue where I wanted the cord to go and inserted the pin into the ball, through the glue, so it wouldn’t pull out from the weight of the ball.

Here’s what it looks like, hanging from a branch in my yard the day after. Let it snow (and let us know)!

10 Comments for “A project for a snowy day”

• Daphne Greig says:

VERY cute idea! I may have to get out MY button box!

• marty bryant says:

toooooo cute! thanks for sharing, great idea, I too have a button box just brimming with oldy but goodies and what a cute way to show them off. thanks

• barbara blair says:

I LOVE this idea! I, too, have my Mother’s and Grandmother’s button stash. I’m going to recycle some old styrofoam balls that I’ve not used on the tree in years, but couldn’t bear to throw away and do this. It’s a way to have a small part of my Mother and Grandmother with me at Christmas.

• Pamela says:

What a great idea. I had a friend give me a box of buttons. I might need to do this and give to his kids. He has since passed a year ago this holiday season.
    I made a quilt this summer and used buttons with other designs to quilt it.

• Lynn Beck says:

Great idea! I have loads of buttons, and it is amazing how many of them are white.

• Georgia says:

Mmmmmm…tempting but I love my buttons in the gift wrap box so I can play with them.

• Karol Plocher says:

What a great project to do with grandchildren!

• Marilyn Sterling says:

What a neat idea! I have a button collection. I’ll have to give this a try.

• julie w says:

What a great fresh idea. I love searching through my buttons like Georgia. I don’t think I could bear to use them up permanently. I am wondering has anyone tried pinning them on, like sequins ornaments?

• Beth says:

Georgia & Julie, I’m with you: I don’t want to permanently use my favorites & antiques, but I love this idea!
    Since Styrofoam is so hole-y, could we sew the buttons on with doll-maker needles (longer than the ball is wide)& glue where the needle goes in? That way, we have a lovely button display & later could snip off the buttons! It certainly would take longer to make, but worth it!